6 Mar 2017
The Artists in Residence (AIR) program provides arts and education funding to kindergartens and schools who would like to develop partnerships with artists, arts organisations or arts facilities to increase their engagement with arts and culture. There are many benefits for students and communities from arts in education including:
- improved critical thinking and development in areas such as literacy and numeracy
- development of creative skills, problem solving capacity, communication, self-management and leadership skills
- increased student engagement with school and learning
- increased cross-cultural capacity and creative, supportive communities.
AIR 2016-17 is a partnership between the Department of Education and Training and Arts Queensland.
- 43 applications were received and 15 successful applicants will share a total of $200,000 in funding.
- Eight of the successful projects will be delivered in schools and seven will be delivered in kindergartens.
- Promotion of the program was targeted at geographically isolated communities, special schools, Indigenous communities, flexi schools, kindergartens and schools in lower socio-economic communities.
- Almost two-thirds of successful projects will be delivered in provincial, rural or remote locations (data table).
- Successful applications included two projects in remote North Queensland Aboriginal communities, a theatre project in a Brisbane special school and a rap project in a youth detention centre.
- Student diversity was a strong element in successful applications (data table):
See the full list of successful projects.
Read case studies of previous AIR projects.
Blog page image courtesy: Mark Roy (www.flickr.com/photos/121483302@N02/14690382710)
Header image this page: pixabay.com/en/art-paint-desk-artist-equipment-1209519/
Regional types include the following local government areas:
Brisbane, Cairns, Douglas, Gold Coast, Ipswich, Logan, Moreton Bay, Noosa, Redland, Sunshine Coast, Townsville
Bundaberg, Fraser Coast, Gladstone, Livingstone, Mackay, Rockhampton, Toowoomba
Banana, Burdekin, Cassowary Coast, Central Highlands, Charters Towers, Cherbourg, Goondiwindi, Gympie, Hinchinbrook, Isaac, Lockyer Valley, Maranoa, Mareeba, North Burnett, Scenic Rim, Somerset, South Burnett, Southern Downs, Tablelands, Western Downs, Whitsunday, Woorabinda, Yarrabah
Aurukun, Balonne, Barcaldine, Barcoo, Blackall-Tambo, Boulia, Bulloo, Burke, Carpentaria, Cloncurry, Cook, Croydon, Diamantina, Doomadgee, Etheridge, Flinders, Hope Vale, Kowanyama, Lockhart River, Longreach, McKinlay, Mapoon, Mornington, Mount Isa, Murweh, Napranum, Northern Peninsula Area, Palm Island, Paroo, Pormpuraaw, Quilpie, Richmond, Torres, Torres Strait Island, Weipa, Winton, Wujal Wujal